THE Grenfell Tower death toll is expected to rise as cops admit there are some victims who will never be identified as they search the remains of the inferno.
The blaze ripped through the tower in North Kensington in the early hours of Wednesday morning.
Flames spread between the second and 24th floors as emergency services struggled to get the blaze under control.
The tower block fire was finally put out this morning as brave firefighters risked their lives to wade through the inferno.
Metropolitan Police Commander Stuart Cundy said: "It may be - and I just don't know - it may be that ultimately some victims remain unidentified.
"I won't know that until we've gone through the full recovery from Grenfell Tower and we know exactly what we've got and I anticipate that is going to take a considerable period of time.
"Not just the immediate recovery of the bodies we have found but the full search of that whole building we could be talking weeks we could be talking months - it is a very long process.
"There is a risk that sadly we may not be able to identify everybody."
At least 17 casualties have already been confirmed by police and Prime Minister Theresa May has ordered a full public inquiry.
But with many residents still missing and several people still believed to be inside the block, the death toll is expected to rise today.
And according to Sky's Adam Boulton, the number of deaths could be as high as 100, but emergency services remain hopeful the victims will not reach "triple figures".
It comes after the first victim was named as Syrian refugee Mohamad Al Haj Ali – according to Josie Ensor, the Daily Telegraph's Middle East correspondent.
A friend of his said in a heartbreaking statement: "He survived Assad, he survived the war, only to be killed in a tower block in London, there are no words."
TRAGIC: Flames ripped through the Grenfell Tower on Wednesday
“There are still unknown numbers of people in the tower”
A further 74 people – with 20 in a critical condition – are being treated in nearby hospitals.
London Fire Commissioner Dany Cotton said earlier that there are still “unknown numbers” of people in the tower but rescuers do not expect to find anyone else alive.
Met Police commander Stuart Cundy said: “This is going to be a long and complex recovery operation and I do anticipate that the number of fatalities will sadly increase beyond those 12."
Terrified residents scrambled to escape the fire – and one desperate parent even resorted tothrowing her baby out of the window.
The building is around 67m above ground level – just over half the size of Big Ben – and is situated near QPR's Loftus Road football ground in West London.
MOURNING: A vigil was held for the victims
The Queen has said her "thoughts and prayers are with those families who have lost loved ones".
London mayor Sadiq Khan said in a statement: "There will be a great many questions over the coming days as to the cause of this tragedy.
"I want to reassure Londoners that we will get all the answers."
And Prime Minister Theresa May is "deeply saddened by the tragic loss of life".
While construction firm Rydon – which completed a refurbishment of Grenfell Tower in 2016 – said it is "shocked to hear of the devastating fire" adding that the work "met all required building control, fire regulation and health and safety standards".
These people are missing in the Grenfell Tower tragedy
A senior detective, DCI Matt Bonner, has been appointed to lead the investigation.
Horrified witnesses have since recounted their terror at seeing the flames take hold – with one even comparing it to 9/11.
Terrified residents trapped on higher floors could even be seen constructing ropes from their bedsheets in a desperate bid to escape the flames.
The city of London was hit by severe travel delays as a result of the blaze – with road closures in the area and Tube services also hit.
Emergency centres were set up nearby to help those left homeless by the blaze.
A local church also offered refuge to people fleeing the fire as plans are made to help those who have lost everything.
Source: UK Daily Star